This Tester is used to expose aircraft interior cabin materials to an incident radiant heat flux of 35 kW/m2.This will determine if the material complies with FAR 25.853[a-1] requirements.
The OSU heat release rate tester approved by FAA of the Federal Aviation Administration of the United States was originally designed by Smith of Ohio State University in 1972, and later became a FAA designated combustion test instrument for testing the heat release rate of Aeronautical materials. The test standards are FAR Part 25 Appendix F Part IV, Airbus AITM 2.00. 06, Boeing BSS 7322.
FAR Part 25 Appendix F Part IV Test Method to Determine the Heat Release Rate from Cabin Materials Exposed to Radiant Heat.
FAA Aircraft Materials Fire Test Handbook, Chapter 5;
BSS 7322 Ohio State University Calorimeter Heat Release, Determination of BOEING SPECIFICATION SUPPORT STANDARD.
AITM 2.0006 Airbus Test Method Determination of Heat Release and Heat Release Rate of Aircraft Material.
ASTM E906 Standard Test Method for Heat and Visible Smoke Release Rates for Materials and Products.
Ⅱ. (Configurations of Goods)
A. Main Unit
1. OSU Main unit (1set)
2. Air Distribution System (1set)
1. Control unit (1set)
2. Computer system (1set)
A. Main Unit
1. OSU Main unit (1set)
1) Apparatus Dimensions: 760mm (W) x 1850mm x (H) x 850mm (D)
2) Test chamber
- The radiant heat source and ensure that the heat flux density is 35±0.5kW/m2
- This will determine if the material complies with FAR 25.853 requirements
- Four silicon carbide elements Type LL 508mm by 16mm with nominal resistance 1.4 Ohms as a heat source with corrosion resistant stainless steel housing
- A reflector made from stainless steel is situated behind the elements
- In front of the elements, a truncated diamond shaped mask, constructed of stainless steel, this provides uniform heat flux density over the area occupied by the 151 × 151mm vertical sample
- Dual 110VAC transformers at 5.5kVA are provided for separate control of the upper and lower element pairs
- Wand Assembly for lighting the upper pilot and calibration burners
- Dual global power controllers for ease of heat flux uniformity adjustment
- Upper pilot and lower pilot (with spark ignition) and calibration methane gas burners
- Thermopile for heat release rate measurement, with five hot thermocouple junctions in the chimney and five cold thermocouple junctions in the air chamber
3) Specimen holders (1set)
- Two specimen holders
- Each specimen holder is fabricated from stainless steel
2. Air distribution system(1set)
- Air temperature to be 21-24℃
- Air at a flowrate of 0.043m3/sec or more
- square-edged circular plate orifice 0.5±0.1mm
- located in a circular pipe with a diameter of 38±1mm
- The air supply manifold at the base of the pyramidal section shall have 48 evenly space holes
1. Control unit(1set)
- Calibration flow rate control
- Lower burner ignition
- Calibration heat flux : calibration heat fluxmeter are two water cooled heat flux sensors are supplied to measure heat flux density at the center and each corner
2. Computer system(1set)
- CPU: Pentium 4 3.0 GHz or more
- RAM: 512MB or more
- HDD: 80GB or more
- Monitor: 17“LCD or more
- Printer: Laser Jet
- Software: Windows XP or more
IV Performance characteristics:
1.Stainless steel combustion test chamber with high temperature glass observation window;
2. The heat radiation source is 4 Glowbars heating rods, which can provide 35KW/M2 heat radiation flux.
3. Two independent PID temperature controllers are used for heating temperature control.
4. Equipped with fully automatic pneumatic sample propulsion device and shielding door device;
5. Equipped with upper burner and movable lower burner;
6. Rotor flowmeter can be used to adjust the gas flow rate of upper and lower burners.
7. Equipped with movable T-type calibration burner device and flow controller;
8. Mass flow controller is applied to thermopile temperature calibration automatically.
9. Water-cooled heat flow meter is equipped with cooling mode to measure the heat radiation flux of the fire surface.
10. The air temperature control device can provide constant temperature and flow air for the test chamber.
11. The orifice flowmeter is used to measure the flow pressure entering the test bin.
12. Equipped with data acquisition system and heat release standard test software.
1. Warranty: one year
2. Installation and training by the engineer
3. Manuals and software manual
4. Utility: to be provided by the end-user
2.1 Indoor installation, size 760mm*1850mm*850mm
2.2 Power supply: 220V60A;
2.3 Gas: methane, purity 99% or above;
2.4 Auxiliary gas: constant temperature and constant flow gas;
Please click the below link to review the video showing how to install the specimen
How to install the sample pusher
What is heat release rate?
Heat Release Rate (HRR) is the rate at which fire releases energy - this is also known as power. HRR is measured in units of Watts (W), which is an International System unit equal to one Joule per second